Acne is a kind of skin rash. Acne is common skin problem. Also, it is more of adolescent problem, so teenagers face this problem the most. Although people of other age groups also get acne like people in 20s or up to 40s. It is commonly noticed on face, though when it is in severe form, it can occur at neck, back, chest or shoulders. There are many causes of acne like hormonal imbalance, improper hygiene, eating lots of oily food, stress, anxiety and also constipation.
Acne can be described as pimples, deeper lumps or plugged pores on skin. Formation of acne is not a typical medical problem but if not treated properly by taking proper care, it can lead to scars on the place affected. Acne mars the beauty of the face; hence cause emotional distress and lack of confidence. Women are more prone to the occurrence of acne.
Natural Acne Treatments and Diet
Since food and diet play an important role in bringing on acne, it is essential that sufferers pay attention to diet. Eating wholesome, healthy, unprocessed foods will help to cleanse the system, prevent toxin build-up and reduce breakouts. According to Prescription for Natural Cures, eating foods rich in beta-carotene will help to maintain and repair the skin. This will include spinach, carrots and other green and yellow or orange vegetables and fruits.
Staying hydrated by drinking a glass of water every hour or so will flush out toxins and help to clear up skin. Eating nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, eggs and cold-water fish will provide wholesome nutrition and vitamins needed for healthy skin. Avoid fatty and junk foods. Rich in saturated fat, sugar and chemicals, these foods do more harm to acne-prone skin than any other thing.
Home Remedies for Acne
1. Sandalwood Paste: Apply a mixture of sandalwood paste in rosewater and leave it overnight and wash off the next morning. Repeat this process till there is marked improvement in scars. The usefuleness of sandalwood in skin care is so well known, that it has been one of the essential elements of make-up kit of women in India traditionally. Even now, there are several brands that prepare soaps with sandalwood as one of the key ingredients.
2. Ice: Applying ice on face helps to tighten pores and to reduce secretion of acne causing sebum.
3. Tomato Slices: Rubbing tomato slices on scars is also found to be effective in lightening the marks.
4. Cucumber Juice: Cucumber juice is an ideal skin toner, which improves texture of skin. Cucumber reduces inflammation, soothes the skin and heals the scars caused by acne.
5. Egg Whites: Egg whites are easy to obtain and are effective in treating acne scar. Apply egg whites on the scars using a cotton ball and leave it overnight to reduce acne scars.
6. Turmeric: Turmeric has been used for thousands of years in the Orient as a beauty product and applying turmeric paste on the skin or ingesting turmeric is effective in the management of acne scars.
7. Aloe Vera & Sage: Sage and Aloe Vera are well known healing agents, which would bring relief to acne scars. Soak sage in hot water, cool it and apply on the skin. Aloe Vera can be applied directly to the skin.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar: It is a good toner that helps to clear up the scars and acne marks.
9. Lime Juice: Apply freshly squeezed juice of lime or lemon on the scars, leave it for a while before washing it off. The bleaching property of lime juice makes the marks less visible. Lime juice also helps in the removal of dead skin cells and in the regeneration of new cells besides retaining the elasticity of the skin.
10. Olive Oil: Use olive oil for cooking as it not only makes the food more appetizing, but also lightens acne scar. Lightly massage olive oil on the skin, which makes the skin smooth and would reduce the scars.
11. Honey: Honey is a natural moisturizer, which is used in the treatment of acne scars. Intake of honey and application of honey mask on the face are found to be effective in acne scar treatment.